Download Course PDF
description and outline.
|Location||Start Date||End Date||Register||Price||--------- Notes --------|
|Waterloo||06/19/2018||06/20/2018||Register||$1,090||University of Waterloo|
As our projects become more complex, project success becomes more elusive. In PMI®’s in-depth Pulse of the Profession® report titled Navigating Complexity, PMI listed three very critical reasons why organizations must address the nature of complexity within their projects:
- Complexity is not going away and will only increase.
- Large budgets are at stake — according to the report, the average budgets for projects that are highly complex are nearly twice as large as the average project.
- Effectively navigating complexity delivers a competitive advantage.
What makes a project complex? Many things. Multiple stakeholders, a virtual project team with diverse languages and cultures, dependence on emerging technologies, political uncertainty, replacing key systems within a live environment — just to name a few.
In this highly interactive and discussion based 2-day workshop, participants will explore actual high profile examples of complex projects, identify what made them complex and the impact of the complexity on their eventual success or failure. Participants will also learn how even a basic understanding of complex theory, together with project management and agile best practices, can be applied to complex projects in order to improve project outcome. Participants will also be given the opportunity to explore a complex project in which they or their colleagues are currently involved, so that they may better understand how the learned techniques apply to their actual project environment.
This course is taught using collaborative learning through...
- Group discussions
- Challenging of assumptions
- Exploring of complex projects through case studies
- Applying learned techniques
Who Should Attend
- Project Managers
- Project team members
- Functional Managers
- Course workbook
- Course reference files
- A framed certificate of completion
- Apply basic concepts of complexity theory in order to create project metrics and enhance project outcomes
- Identify how project risk factors influence project complexity and our decisions on how they are handled
- Identify key drivers of project complexity
- Apply key project management and agile techniques — including your soft skills — to help harness complexity and improve project outcomes
3-day Project Management Essentials: Part 1 (or its equivalent)