World Class Productivity (WCP), together with the University of Waterloo Professional Development, offers two unique project management certificates:
- University of Waterloo Project Management Certificate
- University of Waterloo Advanced Project Management Certificate
Both certificates are designed to provide participants with the project management training required to succeed where it counts — in the real world!
“World Class Productivity are innovative leaders in their industry. They continually strive to exceed our expectations and have become a trusted partner in some of the new initiatives we are launching.”
– Michael Hunt, Associate Director, Professional Development, University of Waterloo
In addition to the 6 days of compulsory PM workshops, participants must complete a minimum of 4 additional days training chosen from the following more advanced PM courses:
Why this Certificate?
Scope – While most University level PM certificates cover either fundamental or advanced level project management training, the uWaterloo Project Management and Advanced Project Management certificates covers three important levels: project management fundamental , PMP (or CAPM) Exam Prep, and advanced tools.
Flexibility – After taking Project Management Applied Tools and Techniques, participants may take the remaining required certificate courses in whichever order will benefit them the most.
Timing – Why tie yourself down to an arbitrary schedule? The courses for this certificate are of 1, 2, and 3 days duration, and are offered multiple times in the year. Complete all course requirements in a short time period, or spread the courses over multiple years – you control the pace!
Small class size – Rather than packing up to 40 participants in a lecture hall, and having to use separate break-out rooms for exercises, we keep our class size small so that each participant gets the attention they deserve.
Double dip – Only PDUs earned once a participant has passed the PMP exam may be applied towards the 60 PDUs required every 3 years to maintain their PMP designation. Participants who take the PMP Exam Prep course and pass the PMP exam early in the program, will be able apply PDUs from all remaining courses towards maintaining their designation. Most participants will be able to earn enough PDUs for their first three year PDU cycle, and be able to carry forward up to 20 PDUs for their next 3 year PDU cycle – all while earning their University of Waterloo Project Management and Advanced level Project Management Certificates!
No need to commit – While most certificates require you to commit to the entire certificate up front, with the University of Waterloo Project Management certificates you are in control. Certificate courses may be taken “stand-alone” without a commitment to complete all course requirements. Once all course requirements have been completed, you simply notify the University of Waterloo at which point you will receive your University of Waterloo Project Management Certification.
Proven track record – The courses that make up the University of Waterloo Project Management and Advanced Project Management Certificates include some of the most popular and sought after project management courses available. The Project Management Applied Tools and Techniques course, for example, is believed to be the longest continuously running project management course in Canada. These courses are taught by Project Management Professionals who not only have had a successful career as hands-on project managers, but are some of the highest rated project management trainers and consultants in Canada.
Who its for?
The University of Waterloo Project Management Certificate is recommended for participants who:
- Require the project management knowledge and credentials for career advancement and to take on larger more complex projects
- Would like to receive their PMP (Project Management Professional) designation
- Need specific project management skills such as:
- Techniques for scheduling and managing multiple projects which share a common resource pool
- How to use Microsoft Project effectively when planning and managing their projects
- How to make sure functional and user requirements are properly defined and understood in order to ensure that project results are aligned with the business needs
- How to manage the expectations of a large number of diverse project stakeholders
The University of Waterloo Advanced Project Management Certificate is recommended for participants who:
- Have completed the uWaterloo Project Management Certificate, and are now ready to hone their skills by taking more advanced Project Managenent training in specific areas of project management
- Would like to take quality courses while earning the PDUs necessary to maintain their PMP designation (PMPs are required to earn 60 PDUs every 3 year period).
Upon completion of the Advanced Project Management Certificate, participants will have both the hands-on tools to handle the kind of situations project managers face in the “real world”, as well as a university level certificate in project management to set them apart from the competition. The Ontario Architect Association (OAA) also accepts all these courses as CORE learning hours towards meeting ongoing continuing education requirements. For those participants who also require SIC credits towards their Gold Seal Certification, most courses within this program also qualify as part of the CCA (Canadian Construction Association) Gold Seal Certification Program.
What you learn
- Understand the essential tools of project management for initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling and closing out projects both large and small.
- Learn advanced scheduling techniques for the scheduling of multiple projects that share a common set of resources
- Understand how to identify both high level and detailed project requirements in order to ensure that project results are aligned with business needs
- Be able to use Microsoft Project effectively during both the planning and managing of projects
- Learn how to hone their “people and leadership skills”, communicate with confidence, defuse potential volatile situations using their conflict management skills and achieve a higher degree of project success
- Learn how to avoid serious problems by effectively managing the expectations of project stakeholders
- Understands and manage the procurement process and project contracts with confidence
- Learn how to write and pass the PMP (or CAPM) exam
Participants who complete these project management certificate programs will come away with more than just theory, they will have the tools and knowledge to take on actual projects and handle the types of situations project managers face on projects both of all sizes. They will also have the project management certificate and professional designation that will give them an edge in a very competitive market.
What if I am already a PMP, do I still have to take the 4-day PMP Exam Prep course?
The PMP exam prep course is offered as an elective within this program. Participants who enter the program already having their PMP designation are recommended not to select the PMP Exam Prep workshop as one of their elective courses.
I have had previously project management training. Can I get credit for past project management courses towards the University of Waterloo Project Management Certificate?
The University of Waterloo will except up to one course of equivalent scope to be applied as a credit towards one of the required certificate level courses.
I have already taken some of the required courses through WCP at other locations. Can these other courses be applied to the University of Waterloo certificates?
You may receive credit for one WCP project management courses that are part of the certificate program but have been taken outside of the University of Waterloo. To qualify, you will have to provide proof of attendance. If you are not sure if a course you have attended applies, please call (800) 214-8096 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
How does these certificates compare to other University level Project Management Certificates?
The University of Waterloo Project Management and Advanced Project Management Certificates are made up of courses carefully chosen to provide project managers with credentials and skills needed to successfully take on projects of all sizes. Some of the key differences between these certificate and other University level project management certificates are:
- Small class size – 20 participants in a classroom rather than 40 participants in a lecture hall. The small class size ensures that each participant gets the attention they deserve, and breakout rooms are not necessary for group exercises and discussions – this allows for greater participant interaction throughout the sessions.
- We use highly experienced full time professional project management trainers and consultants – not part time facilitators with limited experience in adult education.
- Our certificate includes fundamental level courses, PMP (or CAPM) exam Prep and advanced level project management training
- Once participants have completed the first course in the series, the remaining courses may be completed in the order most beneficial to the participants
- Participants can complete the certificate in a short time, or spread out the certificate requirements over multiple years
- Courses may be taking during the week – no need to spend weekends and evenings in training
- Each of the courses that make up the certificates are 1, 2 or 3 days each, making them easy to fit into your busy schedule
- PDUs earned from certificate course taken after participants have achieved their PMP designation can be applied to maintaining their designation
- Certificate courses include a sufficient choice of electives so that participants can tailor the courses they take to those that will benefit them most – whether their area of interest is primarily I.T., Construction, H.R., Government or other project areas.
- Many of the certificate level courses are registered with the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) as part of their Gold Seal Certification program. Participants of these courses can earn CCA SICs (Special Industry Credits) towards Gold Seal Certification.
- Certificate electives include the following advanced courses:
- Hands-on Microsoft Project
- Taking Charge of Multiple Projects
- Project Contracting and Procurement Management
- Agile Project Management
- Managing Stakeholder Expecations
How large are the class sizes?
Most classes range from 9 to 20 participants
If I have my PMP designation, why would I want a University of Waterloo Project Management Certificate or Advanced Project Management Certificate?
By taking the remaining certificate courses, participants will learning the tools and techniques to make them even better project managers, earn the PDUs necessary to maintain their PMP designation, and do so all while earning a University level project management certificate which will make them even more valuable in todays very competitive market.
Can I take some of these courses now, and decide later whether or not I want to take the whole certificate?
Yes! Each of the courses included in the certificate may be taken independently. You do not have to indicate that you are taking the courses as part of the certificate. If you complete all the certificate requirements within 3 years of attending your first certificate course, you will be presented with your Certificate in Project Management
What if I don’t finish all the courses that make up the certificate?
If you do not complete all the required courses you will not receive the uWaterloo Certificate but you will still receive a letter of completion for each individual course you completed, and may claim PDUs (Professional Development Units) or project management learning hours for each of the courses you have completed.
Who are the course instructors?
The uWaterloo Project Management and Advanced Project Management Certificate(s) are made up entirely of courses provided by World Class Productivity (WCP) and all courses are facilitated by our associates. WCP associates are experienced project management professionals (PMPs) with many years of hands-on project management experience as well as training and consulting experience. We are passionate in what we do, and dedicated to providing you with the most professional and the highest quality project management training possible. Currently, the WCP associates who facilitate the certificate level courses at the University of Waterloo are the following:
Paul Bergman, PMP
Carl Sergeant, PMP
Ori Schibi, PMP
Kevin Aguanno, PMP
Stand out from the crowd by earning a University of Waterloo Project Management Certificate or Advanced Project Management Certificate!
Upon completion of the curriculum, participants will not only acquire the project management tools to handle the kind of situations project managers face in the “real world”, they will be prepared to write the PMP® or CAPM® exams, and will have a university level certificate in project management to set them apart from the competition.